It’s the middle of the holiday rush, so let’s keep this short and sweet. This gingerbread cake is 100% verified delicious. It’s easy to make, super flavorful, and tender, and has a slightly crispy top due to the gingerbread glaze. And you can make it look fancy by baking it in a bundt cake pan (my favorite bundt cake pan makes four mini cakes). Go bake this!
Gingerbread Bundt Cake
2 1/2 cups (10 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 tablespoons (1/2 ounce) gingerbread spice; or 2 1/2 teaspoons ginger, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon cloves, and 1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup (12 tablespoons; 6 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups (11 1/4 ounces) brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1/2 cup (6 ounces) molasses
1 cup (8 ounces) water
1/3 cup (2 5/8 ounces) rum or water
1/2 teaspoon gingerbread spice; or 1/4 teaspoon ginger and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a 10- to 12-cup bundt-style pan or a 9-cup quartet bundt cake pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, gingerbread spice, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well and scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl after each addition.
- Stir in the molasses.
- Add the flour mixture in three additions alternately with the water, starting and ending with the flour. Mix just until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake the cake for 55 to 65 minutes if using a 10-12 cup Bundt pan, or 30 minutes if using a quartet Bundt pan, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the glaze. Whisk together the water, spice, and sugar, and cook over medium-low heat until the sugar melts and the mixture thickens a little. Set aside.
- Remove the cake from the oven, cool it in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn it out onto a rack.
- Brush the cake with the glaze, and allow it to cool completely before serving.