Nothing beats making fresh s’mores over a campfire. But if all you have is a microwave, you’re still in luck, because with a few pushes of a button and some stirring, you can make these S’mores Rice Krispie Treats. Melted marshmallows are spread over the bottom layer of graham crackers, and a mixture of milk and dark chocolate, cashew butter, and rice krispies cereal tops it all off.
S’Mores Rice Krispie Treats
(Adapted from Kellogg’s Rice Krispies)
Makes one 9×13 inch pan of bars
7 rectangular sheets of graham crackers (each cracker sheet measures about 5×2 inches and is scored into 4 pieces)
2 1/2 cups marshmallows
2 cups(12 oz.) chocolate morsels or chopped chocolate bar (you can use a mixture of milk, semi-sweet, or dark chocolate)
2/3 cup light corn syrup
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup nut butter, smooth or crunchy (I used cashew butter, but you can also use peanut or almond butter)
3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Coat 13 x 9 x 2-inch microwave-safe pan (I used a glass pan) with cooking spray.
- Put rice krispie cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
- Arrange graham crackers in single layer in the pan, breaking the crackers as needed to fit.
- Arrange marshmallows evenly over crackers, making sure that nearly all of the surface is covered.
- Microwave the pan on high for 1 minute or until marshmallows are puffy. Remove from the microwave and set aside to let cool.
- In a microwave-safe mixing bowl, combine the chocolate, corn syrup, and butter. Microwave on high for about 1 1/2 minutes or until chocolate is melted, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Add the nut butter to the chocolate mixture and stir until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate-nut butter mixture over the rice krispie cereal, stirring until combined.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the marshmallows.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour or until firm. Cut and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.