Don’t know how to turn on the oven? Don’t like to read and follow complicated directions? Not enough time to bake? Too lazy to put much effort into making something? Insecure in the kitchen? Whatever excuse you have, sweep it out of the door. Here’s a recipe that anyone can make, and when I feel lazy but want something sweet, I whip up a batch of Rice Krispie Treats. You only need three ingredients, butter, marshmallows, and rice krispies, and the only kitchen skills you need are the ability to melt butter and marshmallows together and a strong arm to stir.
Rice Krispie Treats
(from Kellogg’s Rice Krispies)
Makes enough to fill a 9×13 pan
3 tablespoons butter
1 package (10 oz.) of large Marshmallows OR 4 cups of Miniature Marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies® cereal
- Prepare a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan by coating it with cooking spray or greasing with butter.
- In large pot, melt the butter over low heat. Do not set the heat too high or the butter will brown and burn.
- Add the marshmallows to the melted butter, and stir until completely until they’re well combined and melted. Keep the heat low so that marshmallow-butter mixture does not brown.
- Remove the pot from heat, and immediately add rice krispies cereal. Stir until well combined.
- Immediately pour the mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan, and using buttered spatula, wax paper, or parchment paper, evenly press mixture into the pan.
- Cool, and cut into 2-inch squares.