Hello Gorgeous! Have you ever seen a better looking cereal bar? This beauty is a combination of caramel + Nutella + chocolate chips + butterscotch chips + cashew butter + honey graham cereal with a sprinkle of Maldon sea salt. Sounds fancy, but it all comes together in one pot, and the chocolate-butterscotch spread can be melted in the microwave. All you need is a slightly strong arm to stir together all the ingredients and some patience to wait for the slab to firm up before cutting into squares. If you’ve made rice krispie treats before, then you can make these “gourmet” Caramel Nutella Cashew Graham Scotcheroos.
Caramel Nutella Cashew Graham Scotcheroos
(Adapted from David Lebovitz)
Makes 1 9×13 inch pan
3/4 cup (150g) sugar
1 cup (320g) light corn syrup
1/2 cup (130g) cashew butter (you can also substitute peanut butter or almond butter)
1/2 cup (130g) Nutella
5-6 cups Honey Grahams cereal (I like Mom’s Best Cereals because it doesn’t seem quite as sweet as Golden Grahams)
6 ounces chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, or 1 cup (165g) chocolate chips
1 cup (165g) butterscotch-flavored chips
fleur de sel or flaky sea salt
- Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper, or line with greased/buttered aluminum foil.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the sugar and corn syrup to a full boil (the sugar mixture will not change color) and then remove from heat.
- Stir the cashew butter and Nutella into the sugar mixture until smooth and well mixed.
- Stir graham cereal into the mixture until the cereal is completely coated.
- Working quickly (the mixture will start to firm up fairly quickly), press the mixture into the prepared pan. I used parchment paper to help press/pack the cereal mixture into the pan. Make sure the top is smooth. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips together over the stove or in a microwave, stirring gently until smooth and well-blended. The butterscotch chips make take a little longer to melt than the chocolate, but keep gently heating and stirring until they are well combined. Spread over the rice cereal mixture.
- Sprinkle the top lightly with sea salt. Let cool until set. I put mine in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to harden the chocolate butterscotch topping a bit.
- Once cool, cut into small bars with a sharp knife.