Whenever I have friends visiting from out of town, I always want to send them home with some type of baked good to help extend their feeling of being on vacation. This delicious Apple Pecan Quick Bread is perfect because it stays moist and fresh for 5 to 7 days, and it travels well. It’s not too sweet (perfect for a quick snack at the airport while waiting for a flight) and crammed full of apples, pecans, and all sorts of spices like cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and ginger (to bring back memories of a homey visit).
Apple Pecan Quick Bread
(Adapted from Fine Cooking)
Makes one 8-inch loaf
Baking spray with flour
6-1/2 oz. (1-1/2 cups plus 2 Tbs.) all-purpose flour; more for the pan
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
Pinch ground cloves
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
3/8 teaspoon table salt
1/2 cup canola oil
2 teaspoon molasses
2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and grated (1 to 1-1/4 cups or about 7 oz.)
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray with baking spray with flour (or butter and flour) an 8×4-inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, baking soda, and cloves.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, eggs, lemon zest, and salt until the mixture is pale yellow and the sugar has dissolved, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the oil and molasses to the wet ingredients, and whisk until smooth.
- Using a silicone spatula, stir in the apple and pecans.
- Fold the dry mixture into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, and level the mixture by tapping the pan on the counter.
- Bake until a skewer inserted into the center of the bread comes out almost clean with few moist crumbs clinging to it, 40 to 45 minutes. (If the top of the bread begins to darken too much, lay a piece of foil over the top.)
- Transfer the pan to a rack and let cool completely. Invert the bread and remove the pan. The bread will keep, wrapped in plastic, at room temperature for 5 to 7 days.