If only I could approach some of my other resolutions with as much fervor as I have been doing to whittle down my Nutella overstock. Next up in Nutella-themed baked goods is this Nutella Swirl Vanilla Cake. Because the vanilla cake is based on a pound cake recipe, it’s a little denser and richer than your usual crumbly vanilla cake which means that it solidly supports the thick ribbon of Nutella running through the center. No frosting needed for this cake as the Nutella provides just the right amount of sweetness.
Nutella Swirled Vanilla Cake
(Adapted from Food & Wine – http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/nutella-swirl-pound-cake)
Makes one 9×2 inch cake
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup Nutella
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Line the bottom of a 9×2 inch round cake pan with parchment paper, and lightly spray the sides of the pan with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In separate small bowl, lightly beat the eggs with the vanilla.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer (or in a large bowl using a handheld mixer), beat the butter with the sugar at medium-high speed until fluffy and light. With the mixer at medium-low speed, gradually beat in the egg mixture until fully incorporated. Add the flour mixture in 3 batches, beating at low speed between additions until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Spread half of the cake batter in the prepared pan. Then spread the Nutella on top, leaving a 1/4 inch border of cake showing. Spread the other half of the cake batter on top of the Nutella. Lightly swirl the Nutella into the batter with a butter knife (Do not overmix.). Tap the pan on the counter to settle any air bubbles.
- Bake the cake for about 32-37 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Invert the cake onto a wire rack, turn it right side up, and let it cool completely.