In an attempt to whip up a batch of cookies in about an hour, I turned to this recipe for Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies. Not only were these these cookies really quick and easy to make, but they’re amazingly delicious. They’re crispy on the edges, chewy in the middle, and butterscotchy all over.
Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies
(from Nestle – https://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/18478/oatmeal-scotchies/. My notes are in italics between [ ]).
Makes 48 cookies
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar [I used light brown sugar]
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or grated peel of 1 orange [I used vanilla extract; the orange zest doesn’t sound appealing to me]
3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats [I used old-fashioned oats]
1 2/3 cups (11-oz. pkg.) Butterscotch Flavored Morsels
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in small bowl.
- Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl [I added and mixed each ingredient individually to ensure everything was mixed well].
- Gradually beat in flour mixture.
- Stir in oats and butterscotch morsels.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes for chewy cookies or 9 to 10 minutes for crisp cookies. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.